JIGYASA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JIGYASA

An online placement forum.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Find the heaviest ball

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Find the heaviest ball Empty Find the heaviest ball Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:09 pm

i2aGuru

You are given 6 balls, all of them appear the same in shape and size. 5 of them are of equal weight and the 6th one is heavier compared to the others. If you are given a bean balance , in how many minimum weighs can you find out the heaviest ball ?

2Find the heaviest ball Empty Re: Find the heaviest ball Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:00 pm

codecrker

3Find the heaviest ball Empty @ Codecrcker Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 pm

i2aGuru

Thats correct . But, can you explain the different possible ways of arriving at this answer.

4Find the heaviest ball Empty Re: Find the heaviest ball Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 pm

codecrker

1) (3,3) -> take the heavier lot

2) (1,1) -> from the heavier lot , if equal then the 3rd ball is the heavier one otherwise take the heavier one from the first 2

5Find the heaviest ball Empty @ Codecrcker Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 pm

i2aGuru

This is one of the possible ways. Can you think of any other way to find the heavier ball in 2 weighs ?

6Find the heaviest ball Empty Re: Find the heaviest ball Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm

codecrker

(2,2)
-> if not equal , then take the heavier lot and again weigh (1,1) to find the heavier one..
-> if equal, then weigh the other 2 balls and take the heavier one..

7Find the heaviest ball Empty @ Codecrcker Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 pm

i2aGuru

Correct . now this completes the possible ways . good job Codecrckr !

8Find the heaviest ball Empty @Codecrcker Mon May 03, 2010 9:43 pm

whyNot

In the above question, if we do not know whether the ball which is of different weight from other balls is heavier or lighter, then how many minimum steps are required to find out the ball which is of different weight from other balls. Shocked

9Find the heaviest ball Empty Re: Find the heaviest ball Sun May 09, 2010 12:31 am

codecrker

10Find the heaviest ball Empty @codecrcker Sun May 09, 2010 11:54 am

whyNot

Can you tell me the way you arrived at this answer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum